Are you ready to roll? Rollovers made easy

If you have a retirement account still sitting in a previous employer’s plan, you may want to consider rolling the balance to your UC Retirement Savings Plan (UCRSP) accounts. It's easier than you think!

Can a rollover benefit you?

Consolidating your retirement accounts helps you manage and monitor the assets more easily, and you may benefit from UC’s lower fee structure.

How to roll over

Since the steps to roll over an account balance can vary depending on the recordkeeper for your previous employer’s plan, the simplest way to make the process painless is to call Fidelity. UC-dedicated Fidelity Workplace Financial Consultants can help you through the entire process. Here’s how it works:

  • Make sure you have an account statement for the retirement accounts that you want to roll to your UC 403(b), 457(b), or DC Plan account. A statement should include your account number(s), your account balance(s), and the prior recordkeeper’s telephone number.
  • Call Fidelity at 1-800-558-9182 and tell your UC-dedicated Fidelity Workplace Financial Consultant you would like help rolling money to your UC 403(b), 457(b), or DC Plan account. Your Fidelity Workplace Financial Consultant will help you contact the prior recordkeeper for your previous employer’s retirement plan and request that all required paperwork be mailed or emailed to you. Then, your Workplace Financial Consultant can email or mail you a pre-filled Transfer/Rollover/Exchange Form.
  • Once you receive the paperwork from your previous employer’s recordkeeper, follow the instructions to complete and sign all paperwork.
  • Sign the pre-filled Transfer/Rollover/Exchange Form you received from Fidelity, and send it and the completed paperwork from your previous employer’s recordkeeper to Fidelity Investments, P.O. Box 770002, Cincinnati, OH, 45277-0090.
  • Fidelity will process your form and send the appropriate paperwork to your previous employer’s recordkeeper. Some recordkeepers require Fidelity to send a Letter of Acceptance (LOA). If required by the recordkeeper, Fidelity will include a Letter of Acceptance. 
  • In most cases, your rollover check is sent directly to Fidelity. If it is sent to you, you will need to mail the check to Fidelity. If a "payable to" name is required for your check, please make the check payable to: FIIOC FBO [YOUR NAME].

Once Fidelity receives your check, you will receive confirmation by email or mail, depending on your communication preference. If you have any questions during the process, call Fidelity at 1-800-558-9182.

Start your rollover