In addition to pretax savings through the 403(b) and 457(b) plans, the UC Retirement Savings Program offers you the opportunity to save with after-tax contributions through the Defined Contribution Plan (DCP). You can access your money at any time; pay taxes on contributions now and you pay taxes only on the investment earnings when you take the money out.
Benefits of investing after-tax dollars in the DCP
If you’ve never considered making after-tax contributions to the DCP, these advantages may have you looking at the plan in a whole new way.
- Tax diversification. Pay taxes on the contributions now, instead of when you take the money out. Investment earnings grow tax-deferred.
- High contribution limits. Save up to $56,000 in the DCP (2019 limit).1 That is in addition to any contributions you make to the 403(b) and 457(b) plans.
- Liquidity. Access your money at any time (applicable earnings subject to taxes and possible early withdrawal penalties if not rolled over).
- Flexible savings and investing vehicle. Convenient payroll deductions can be invested in the wide range of low cost UC investment options.
- Estate planning. Potentially pass on your after-tax contributions to beneficiaries without a tax burden.
- Option to convert to a Roth IRA through a rollover. Earnings on your DCP contributions that are converted into a Roth individual retirement account (IRA) may be withdrawn tax-free in retirement, provided that certain conditions are met. Consult a tax professional regarding your specific situation. Learn more about Roth IRA conversion rollovers.
Ready to make after-tax contributions to your DCP account?
You can start making after-tax contributions to the DCP at any time. Just log in to NetBenefits.com or call Fidelity at 800-558-9182. Contributions are deducted from your paycheck on an after-tax basis and posted to your DCP After-tax Account.
Remember, you should contact a tax professional to find out if a Roth IRA conversion rollover is right for you and how it works with your DCP After-tax Account.